Air Quality Monitoring Project
In 2012, the Newtown Creek Alliance, in partnership with HabitatMap, received an Environmental Justice Community Impact Grant from the New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation to develop and teach a course on air quality monitoring at Queens Vocational & Technical High School in Sunnyside, Queens, New York City.
In 2013, 26 students participated in this program. The Students:
- Built their own air quality monitors with instruction from a mechanical engineering professor from the New York City College of Technology and an electrical engineering professor from Manhattan College;
- Toured the neighborhood around their school with a historian from the Newtown Creek Alliance;
- Learned the basics of air quality from the Senior Vice President of Sonoma Technology;
- Developed and executed their own air quality monitoring plans.
- Presented their work and findings to their peers, members of the Newtown Creek Alliance, and staff from the New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation.