(March – October 2023)
Newtown Creek Alliance (NCA) is a community based non-profit with the mission to Reveal, Restore, and Revitalize Newtown Creek, a Superfund waterway that borders Brooklyn and Queens. NCA runs a robust educational program, hosting thousands of NYC students (K-12) each year through in-person field trips covering the following topics: urban ecology, green infrastructure, Newtown Creek history, climate change adaptations and marine sciences.
NCA is hiring a part-time educator to lead our existing environmental educational programming. The position will coincide with NCA’s Environmental Education Coordinator’s parental leave (April – June), including a full month of onboarding and continuation through the remainder of the summer/fall season. Potential to extend and/or expand the position, based on performance and funding, after October 2023.
- Plan and lead field trips at designated program locations, including Kingsland Wildflowers, Newtown Creek Nature Walk, and Hunters Point Park.
- Manage and organize email correspondence and program inquiries.
- Manage Explorable Places scheduling platform and education calendar.
- Ensure any and all educational materials are clean, in good working order, organized, and always available for use.
- Maintain active communication channels with supervisors, including scheduling regular check-ins to provide updates and work plans (as needed).
- Background in teaching, childhood education, place-based learning, and environmental science literacy.
- The ability to lead a group activity in an urban outdoor setting.
- Experience working with many different demographics and age groups.
- Clear and patient communicator with teachers, administrators, visiting groups, the public, and our partners.
- Highly motivated, organized, and self-driven with the ability to work well with others in a small organization.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Familiarity with Environmental Justice issues, the history of industrialization in NYC, and the neighborhoods surrounding Newtown Creek is a plus.
Compensation and Schedule
- 20 to 25 hours/week; March through October 2023 – with the option to expand and/or extend based on performance and funding after October 2023.
- Schedule revolves around school programs (M-F) with flexibility and will be agreed upon with your input after hiring.
- Onboarding through the month of March under supervision of NCA’s Environmental Education Coordinator.
- Opportunities to participate in additional NCA programs, professional development, and events based on organizational needs.
- The majority of the work will be done in person at NCA’s offices at the Kingsland Wildflowers Green Roof in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.
Newtown Creek Alliance is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
To Apply, Please Submit:
1. Cover letter (.pdf)
2. Resume (.pdf) with at least two references
to Tess@newtowncreekalliance.org with ‘Environmental Educator’ in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged. The deadline to apply is Friday January 31st, 2023 (11:59pm).