NYC Civic Corps, an AmeriCorps program launched in 2009 by NYC Service, recruits and places AmeriCorps members to serve full-time from September 1, 2022 to June 30, 2023 at select nonprofit organizations. NYC Civic Corps members build, develop, and grow volunteer programs by recruiting, managing, and engaging volunteers to address impact areas that are priorities of New York City. Applications are open, and we have 1 volunteer coordinator position available through Civic Corps.
This will be a full-time, 10 month, position beginning on September 1st 2022.
This position offers an opportunity to work with a small but effective environmental nonprofit that serves both north Brooklyn and western Queens. Our focus since 2002 has been advocacy around water quality, urban ecology, community health, and urban planning. As our organization continues to grow and our message and mission reach further out into the surrounding communities, the need to find lasting and meaningful ways to engage the broader public becomes ever more pressing. In 2022 we engaged close to 3,500 members of the public through our existing programming, and 575 volunteers. We have a growing need to develop programming allowing for the broader public to participate in regular, structured volunteer events. Our volunteer programming is extremely popular and we anticipate that momentum continuing. This position would help us design and establish a new volunteer engagement program that will engage communities farther east, namely Bushwick and Maspeth, and broaden NCA’s footprint across Creekshed communities.
● Visit Newtown Creek public access sites and learn about the organization’s history and approach to environmental and community health issues.
● Create and implement a volunteer leader program
● Serve as the first point of contact for volunteers
● Serve as an internal resource for NCA staff for organizing and booking volunteer groups, providing scheduling details, and coordinating special volunteer requests.
● Develop resources for volunteers including training materials, checklists, manuals, etc.
● Increase recruitment through email, phone calls, tabling fairs, community events, and other outreach activities.
● Monitor volunteer registrations regularly and consistently and identify volunteer gaps to target for outreach.
● Identify and document return volunteers and groups for regular recognition and retention
● Manage group bookings and update other staff and program partners with volunteer event schedules
● Ensure all volunteer attendance is tracked and updated regularly and consistently
● Create, update, and maintain volunteer postings and confirmation language through our website, social media, and email. This includes responding to volunteer inquiries via phone and email to ensure friendly and timely follow-up
● Support organizational special events as needed. Should fundraising activity overlap with volunteer programming, no more than 10% of member time will be spent involved in fundraising activities.
In addition to the above requirements, our volunteer coordinator is welcome to provide additional support to the organization and learn about different paths in the environmental movement through hands on practice. There’s opportunity to shadow our Horticulturist in the field, assist with policy writing and organizing, support water quality sampling, and much more should you apply for the role with us.