Newtown Creek Alliance (NCA) is a community based non-profit with the mission to Reveal, Restore, and Revitalize Newtown Creek, a Superfund waterway that borders Brooklyn and Queens. NCA runs a robust educational program, hosting thousands of NYC students (K-12) each year through in-person field trips covering the following topics: urban ecology, green infrastructure, Newtown Creek history, climate change adaptations and marine sciences.For more information about our education programming please visit: http://www.newtowncreekalliance.org/education/
NCA is hiring a part-time educator to help lead our environmental educational programming. The Environmental Educator will learn, research, write, and teach environmental/ Newtown Creek themed curriculum and programming while working with the Environmental Education Coordinator to ensure successful experiences for all trip participants. The position will include 3 weeks of training and a potential to expand responsibilities in the future.
- Plan and lead field trips at designated program locations, including Kingsland Wildflowers, Queens Landing Boathouse and Environmental Center, and the Newtown Creek Nature Walk.
- Ensure any and all educational materials are clean, in good working order, organized, and always available for use.
- Update pre- and post-visit materials and teacher packets.
- Create and build out education visuals – using Canva and other digital design tools.
- Maintain active communication channels with supervisors, including scheduling regular check-ins to provide updates and work plans (as needed).
- Background in teaching, childhood education, place-based learning, and environmental science literacy.
- The ability to lead a group activity in an urban outdoor setting.
- Experience working with many different demographics and age groups.
- Clear and patient communicator with teachers, administrators, visiting groups, the public, and our partners.
- Highly motivated, organized, and self-driven with the ability to work well with others in a small organization.
Not Required but Helpful Qualifications:
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Experience with graphic design + creating educational content.
- Familiarity with Environmental Justice issues, the history of industrialization in NYC, and the neighborhoods surrounding Newtown Creek.
Compensation and Schedule
- 24 hours/week
- Schedule revolves around school programs (M-F) with flexibility and will be agreed upon with your input after hiring.
- Onboarding for the first three weeks under supervision of NCA’s Environmental Education Coordinator.
- Opportunities to participate in additional NCA programs professional development, and public events based on organizational needs.
- The majority of the work will be done in person at NCA’s offices at the Kingsland Wildflowers Green Roof in Greenpoint, Brooklyn and Queens Landing Boathouse and Environmental Center in LIC Queens
Newtown Creek Alliance is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. It is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law.
To Apply, Please Submit:
1. Cover letter (.pdf)
2. Resume (.pdf) with at least two references
to Tess@newtowncreekalliance.org with ‘Environmental Educator’ in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis; early applications are encouraged. The deadline to apply is Friday January 5th, 2024 (11:59pm).